Home : About Cannon Beach
About Cannon Beach
Click on history photo for full-sized, readable photo.
Although incorporated in 1957, the Native residents of what is now known as Cannon Beach were visited by William Clark as early as 1806. The area has also been known as Ecola (from the Salish "E cu-la" meaning whale) and Elk Creek.
Cannon Beach, a popular vacation resort, extends for four miles along the Pacific Ocean. The downtown commercial area is approximately four blocks on the north end of Hemlock Street - the main street thru town. It is adorned with bright flowers and lots of places to stop and sit. South of "downtown," is the area known as "midtown." The far south end is known as Tolovana Park.
The Cannon Beach Chamber of Commerce has an information center located at the corner of 2nd and Spruce Streets downtown (one block east of Hemlock) and provides brochures and information about Cannon Beach and the surrounding area.
Cannon Beach City Hall is located at 161 E. Gower. The library can be found downtown at 131 N. Hemlock Street (no phone). There are two post office branches - one downtown at 155 N. Hemlock (503-436-2822) and one two miles south in Tolovana Park at 3140 S. Hemlock (503-436-1189).
For police or fire emergencies, dial 911. The non-emergency number for the Cannon Beach Police Department is 503-436-2811. The non-emergency number for the Cannon Beach Fire Department is 503-436-2949.
For building permit information, call 503-436-2045.
The major industry is tourism.
Click photo for enlargement - use 'Back' button to return. go to PHOTO LIBRARY © G Vetter
Recommend this page to a friend